Friday, July 24, 2009

Lady Justice not so blind.....

We live in a society where Lady Justice is supposed to be blind. It is a Constitutional right that we are to be tried in a court of law by our peers. If you look at Lady Justice, she is holding the scale of Justice and is blindfolded. But is she truly blind anymore or does she now look at things through the eyes of the media, bloggers and the internet.

I am watching the "trial" of Sgt. James Crowley play out and I sit here in disbelief. Let me say IF this man did anything wrong and IF this man is a racist, then he should be stripped of his badge, his responsibility and duty as a law enforcement official. Conversely, IF Henry Louis Gates Jr. acted in such a way that warrented his arrest, then I would expect an appology from not only him, but also the President.

The beauty of our justice system is we are supposed to be assumed innocent until proven guilty. However, because of 24 hour news, bloggers and the internet, we are quickly becoming a society of guilty until proven innocent. The burden of proof lays on the prosecution. It must be proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a person is guilty. Is it perfect? No! Would I trade it for any other system? No!

As I sit here and listen to the police union, I say....Good for you! Yes....you heard me correctly. A die hard, card carrying member of the Republican party who is not a fan of unions said.....GOOD FOR YOU! I have often felt that unions have outlived their usefulness, but under these circumstances, I am happy there is a voice of reason defending the situation.

There are far to many times when misinformation or lack of information causes the system to faulter. We live in a society of "who can get the news out first." Don't believe me, see the Duke LaCrosse case. I know some of the people involved in that case. It was tried in the court of public opinion way before that of a court of law.

The president asked for "Cooler heads to prevail!" I couldn't agree more!

No comments:

Post a Comment